miércoles, 28 de febrero de 2007

Monsieur Fermat and his Theorem

www.goodaboom.com

I know what you're thinking...what on earth has some muso who barely scraped through his Maths CSE got in common with Pierre Fermat. Well, I guess, nothing, save for the fact that Miki is a Mathematician who studied at the elite Fermat centre in Toulouse in addition to being an Artist. However, I liked the idea of him coming up with a theorem that nobody could solve for hundreds of years. I guess I can always admire a smart-arse. So I wrote a little poem about him.



Monsieur Fermat's Theorem

Take my blessed pen and write
In faded figures on the wall
Equation in its purest form
That will explain it all

The beauty of simplicity
In all its eccentricity
As complex as it needs to be
Yet not complex at all

Perfection, Numeration
Pearls of wisdom before swine
An age has tried to solve it
- A Mystery in time

And scholars of the future
May look back and pity them
The one that proved elusive
Monsieur Fermat's theorem.

Kev Moore 2006

Post Script

In a bid to be an even bigger smart-arse than Fermat, Andrew Wiles eventually proved the theorem 357 years after it was first published, in 1995. Spoilsport.

No hay comentarios: