sábado, 3 de marzo de 2007

The "Make-do" Culture

www.goodaboom.com

Don’t get me wrong. I love living in Spain, and I’m not one of those Brits who expects everything to be home from home, like those bloody awful advertising hoardings that are up everywhere here. “Make your home from home in Spain” They are endorsed by Claire Sweeney...is that important? Why the hell would a photo of some scouse bint make you think “Oh well, if our Claire likes the idea, then its got to be okay , hasn’t it?” Bloody lunacy. But I digress.

What frequently stuns and amuses me, is the Spanish predeliction for shoddy workmanship. Whilst walking around Villajoyosa the other day, I came across this superb bit of quality Mains electricity cabling.(See Picture)

Im sure the guy thought; “Ooh, it’s a bit warm today, I won’t bother sinking that dangerous cable into the brickwork, in fact, I won't even bother to affix it correctly to the wall with cable ties…I’ve got a bit of spare mortar here, I’ll just lob it on, and Jose’s yer uncle!” Fantastic, But not quite as fantastic as the builder who recently ran a rubber gas pipe directly below an (occasionally) red-hot cooker hob. Fortunately the owners discovered it in time.

It makes you wonder how they survived into the 21st century, doesn’t it? If only the Inca’s had known this, they might still be around……

No hay comentarios: